Conversations with the Broken

by 11:28 AM 0 comments
Jesus had 12 disciples. He lived with them, ate with them, hung out with them, slept with them. In one passage we see John even leaning on Jesus’ bosom (John 12:23). In the midst of all the daily activities I’m sure Jesus had some amazing conversations with them. While they were fishing or walking along the street, I’m sure Jesus spoke healing, cracked a joke, and even cried with them. We see it in the Bible, he even used a fig tree on the side of the road to teach and minister to them. The disciples needed Jesus to speak life into them constantly., without them knowing he mended their brokenness and prepared them for their future.


I want to give you a glimpse into some of the tough conversations I have with the girls. These conversations are those of brokenness and healing. I hope nothing is lost in translation.

***
11 yr. old, 8pm. She sits on the floor wearing her mismatched pajamas while I detangle her hair.

Girl: You know Anna, when my parents were in custody battle with the state, my mom scram to me: “Vas hacer igual que yo, one day you’ll sell yourself like I do.
Tengo miedo. I don’t want to be like her.”

Me: God has given you an opportunity by being here. He wants to break that curse in your family. He could use you to do it. You do not have to be like her, God has rescued you. You are safe here.

After more talking we prayed for her mom and her future.

***

12 yr. old, 9pm. She walks into my room, sits on the chair next to me . The day has been tough for her, she could not stay out of trouble.

Girl: I don’t want to be here any more.

Me: Why? Tell me what you need, what are we not providing for you here?

Girl: Sabes lo que necesito? I need my mom and my Dad, and not separated, I need them together!

Me: Lets pray for that right now. Dios te escucha. God is listening and lets ask him to supply your needs. You needed a caregiver, and look here I am all the way from Texas, God had been preparing me for you. Did you pray for a caregiver before I arrived?
Girl: Yes I prayed, pero Dios se tardo un chorro! He took forever to answer my prayer!

We continued to talk about her family and prayed for God’s will to be done, that this place will feel like home.
***
While taking a walk outside.

Me: You know, you make me happy.

Girl: You make me happy too.

Silence

Girl: This is my home. I want to finish school here, I don’t want to have to move anywhere else. Le voy hechar ganas.

Me: Good! You don’t have to.


This is brutal honesty, but this is the truth of our daily life. There is a lot of issues that God is bringing out because we have grown close and have made it a point to build relationships. God is just and I believe he will restore what these girls have lost. He will not only answer their prayers, but bless them more than they could ever think to ask for. Just like Jesus did with the disciples.



Anna Valdez

Developer

Cras justo odio, dapibus ac facilisis in, egestas eget quam. Curabitur blandit tempus porttitor. Vivamus sagittis lacus vel augue laoreet rutrum faucibus dolor auctor.

0 comments:

Post a Comment